- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 4 oz. provolone cheese, cut into small cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup provolone cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375º F and lightly grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and sautè onion and bell pepper for 10 minutes, or until softened.
- Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine meat, egg, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce and red pepper flakes together in a large bowl, and mix together until combined. Season generously with salt and pepper, then mix in pepper and onion and cubed provolone until incorporated.
- Place mixture in loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, then whisk in flour to create a roux. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While whisking continuously, slowly pour in milk until incorporated and smooth, then cook for 4-5 minutes, or until thickened.
- Remove sauce from heat and mix in grated provolone and parmesan cheese until melted.
- Remove meatloaf from oven and pour cheese sauce over the top.
- Slice, serve hot and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Iowa Girl Eats
(Visited 1,004 times, 1 visits today)