- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 8-10 Arbol red chilies, minced
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- peanut oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt, and toss to mix together. Set aside.
- Begin the sauce by mixing together chicken stock, soy sauce, dry sherry, rice vinegar, sesame oil, sugar and cornstarch in a bowl. Stir until smooth.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons sauce to dry ingredients and mix until flour mixture is coarse and crumbly.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon peanut oil over medium heat and add minced ginger, garlic, chilies and scallions.
- Saute for 2-3 minutes, or until softened and fragrant, then stir sauce again and pour it into the skillet.
- Bring mixture up to a boil and cook for 1 minute, or until thickened.
- Once reduced slightly, transfer sauce to a bowl and remove skillet from heat, but don’t wipe down with a paper towel.
- Heat 6 cups peanut oil in a large Dutch oven or wok to 350-375º. (Use a thermometer to gauge this.)
- One at a time, place chicken in dry coating mixture and toss to coat thoroughly. Press chicken pieces firmly into the mixture to make sure it adheres fully.
- Carefully lower chicken into hot oil (don’t overcrowd them) and cook, flipping occasionally, until crispy and cooked through. 4-6 minutes. Then place chicken on a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Note: let oil come back up to 350-375º between batches.
- Once finished, transfer crispy chicken to sauce skillet and return to a low heat.
- Return sauce to skillet and cook for 5 minutes, or until hot.
- Serve immediately, with white rice and/or veggies.
Recipe adapted from Saveur
(Visited 20 times, 1 visits today)