- 1 pound whole-wheat linguine (or spaghetti)
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked chicken breast, shredded (3-4 cups)
- 2 (8 oz.) packages sliced mushrooms
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup low-fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- toasted almonds, optional, garnish
- Preheat oven to 375º F and lightly spray 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil and cook pasta until al dente.
- In a large pan or skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat and swirl pan so that it evenly coats the bottom.
- Add mushrooms to pan and saute until softened. 3-4 minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent and garlic fragrant.
- Pour in white wine, reduce heat and let cook until reduced.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and whisk in flour to create a roux.
- Once smooth and a dark, golden color, slowly pour in milk and chicken stock, stirring continuously.
- Bring sauce to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 7 minutes, or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan and cream cheese, salt and pepper, and stir well.
- Carefully pour the sauce into the mushrooms and onions, and add the pasta and shredded chicken. Toss to combine well.
- Pour mixture into baking dish, place in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cooked through and bubbly.
- Remove from oven, let rest 5 minutes, if desired, garnish with toasted almonds and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Citron Limette
(Visited 21 times, 1 visits today)