- 2 pounds broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 head cauliflower, stalks removed, cut into florets
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (12 oz.) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, optional
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and saute onion until translucent. 5-6 minutes.
- Add chopped cauliflower and cook for another 8 minutes, or until tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and, if using, pepper flakes, and pour in evaporated milk. Stir to combine.
- Use an immersion blender (or transfer to a blender/food processor) and blend until smooth.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat and saute broccoli florets until bright green and tender crisp. 6-7 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, then pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and slowly pour in cauliflower puree and cheddar cheese.
- Add in Worcestershire sauce and stir mixture until melted and smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Transfer to bowls and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted The Scrumptious Pumpkin